Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pioneer Day

I know it is a week late, but I had to post about our trip first...On our way home from California I got a phone call reminding me that I needed to bring a salad to the Community Celebration for Pioneer Day. Luckily I had everything I needed to make my Sister in Law's super yummy potato salad. It was so good that I didn't even want to take it! Her recipe will be at the end (as well as some things I did differently)


Our community does a BBQ and water party every year. There was so much delicious food and homemade root beer with dry ice. I was so glad I got a big helping of my own potato salad before it was all gone. They usually have an inflatable giant slip and slide thing and at the end of the party the fire trucks spray everyone they can. The kids had so much fun, and loved getting soaked. 











THIS is Melissa recipe she adds lots of goodies, but I am a little picky so I left a couple things out (onions....) and here is how I do it.


Red Potato Salad with Sour Cream & Dill


8-10 medium potatoes, scrubbed 
7 hard-boiled eggs, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 Tablespoons dill pickle relish
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon mustard
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 2 tsp. dried
salt
black pepper
garlic powder(to taste)

Scrub potatoes and boil in salted water until tender.  Drain and let cool completely. Peel (do not peel if using red potatoes) and cut into medium- sized chunks. (I have used both red and russet potatoes- I leave the russets a little bigger since they are not as sturdy as red potatoes). You can also peel and chop them first, then boil in salted water, they would have more flavor, but I opted for more vitamins/nutrients by boiling them whole.

In a large bowl, combine celery, relish, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, dill, salt & pepper. Gently fold in eggs and potatoes.  If it looking too dry add some more mayo or sour cream. Taste and add garlic, salt, and pepper if desired. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serves 8-10.

Thanks Melissa for such a scrumptious recipe. I seriously LOVE this stuff!!!

2 comments:

lauren said...

that slipn slide is awesome!!! i will have to try that potatoe salad recipe looks yummy!

The Yoder's Five said...

Mmmmm! I just made that potato salad a week ago. Love it.

That is a freaking awesome slip and slide. I've never seen one like that before!